Tooth extractions are far more common than most people think. Each year, millions of adults in this country have wisdom teeth safely extracted, according to the National Institutes of Health. Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, are commonly removed for a variety of reasons. While many of us are familiar with wisdom tooth extractions, there are a variety of reasons that removing another tooth may be called for.
If you are experiencing the sudden onset of pain, it is important to seek medical help immediately.
Dr. Luminita Markham regularly performs tooth extraction oral surgery at her Auburn, CA dental practice. You can reach our friendly staff online or by calling (530) 823-8771.
Dental Problems that Call for Tooth Extraction
There are many reasons why tooth extraction may be called for. Tooth extractions can pave the way for life-changing dental implants, for example.
If you are experiencing any of the following, you may be in need of tooth extraction at our Auburn dental practice.
- Dental caries: Cavities are a common dental problem among Americans. Sugary diets, poor oral hygiene, or genetic factors can lead to this form of tooth decay. If the caries are properly treated early, caries can be successfully stopped. Left untreated, the decay can advance toward the sensitive inner pulp of a tooth. Once the bacterial infection reaches this area, severe pain can follow. One benefit of tooth extraction is the immediate relief of pain from an advanced cavity.
- Periodontal disease: Gum disease is the most common cause of tooth loss in the United States. Mild to advanced stages of periodontitis cause gum tissue to pull away from the base of the tooth. Eventually, gum disease leads to the need for tooth extraction. Scheduling regular visits for cleanings and exams at our Auburn dental office is one easy way to stay ahead of gum disease.
- Trauma or accidents: Unexpected blows to the head or jaw can loosen or knock out teeth. Special steps must be taken to preserve a knocked-out tooth if it is to be restored.
- Orthodontic reasons: Many patients are surprised to learn that tooth extractions can be performed to prepare for orthodontic treatments. Tooth crowding can complicate traditional braces or Invisalign treatments. In those cases, our doctor may recommend the strategic extraction of one or more teeth.
- Impacted teeth: An impacted tooth is a tooth that fails to emerge fully. This problem is most commonly associated with third molars. Impacted teeth are more prone to infection and decay. Dr. Markham can safely remove impacted teeth.
- Failed dental treatments: While root canal treatments are often successful, a returning infection may require that the entire tooth is extracted. Failed dental treatments are extremely rare.
Schedule Your Next Visit Today
There are many benefits to undergoing tooth extraction. The simple procedure can pave the way for a more attractive smile by addressing crowding in your smile. Tooth extraction can also restore oral health by removing an infected or decaying tooth. While the oral surgery can lead to mild discomfort, the relief from the pain of an advanced infection often far outweighs any discomfort experienced during or shortly after the procedure.
If you are ready to learn more about the benefits of this straightforward procedure, contact our friendly staff online or call our Auburn, CA office at (530) 823-8771.