In the era of selfies and 24/7 social media updates, we all want to look our very best. So, it’s safe to say that having a winning smile is of the utmost importance. It’s no wonder that teeth whitening has become one of the most popular cosmetic dental procedures available on the market today. With this generation growing more and more cosmetically aware, the demand for teeth whitening has skyrocketed by roughly 300 percent in the last few years, becoming a 15-billion-dollar industry in virtually no time.
While it’s possible to lighten your teeth via various at-home and over-the-counter remedies, these solutions aren’t nearly as powerful as those provided at Maidu Dental. Professional teeth whitening offers a more long-lasting impact, ensuring you can enjoy a more beautiful smile, longer.
What Makes Your Teeth Stain?
There are many circumstances that can cause tooth discoloration. Your teeth can darken as a result of stains on the surface of the tooth or by changes deep inside the tooth. These stains can be divided into three different categories:
- Extrinsic — In general, extrinsic tooth stains tend to be more habit-driven.They typically occur with the consumption of certain foods or beverages, as well as not brushing or flossing. Things like coffee, wine, soda, and candy cause the outer layer of the tooth, known as enamel, to darken. Tobacco use can also cause extrinsic stains, as well as numerous other oral complications.
- Intrinsic— This is when the interior structure of the tooth, known as dentin, darkens or begins to get a yellow tint. Tooth traumas like a chipped or broken tooth, certain antibiotics, and dental conditions like fluorosis, can cause the inside of the tooth to stain. Genetics also factors into the color of your teeth and their propensity to stain.
- Age-related— This is an amalgamation of both extrinsic and intrinsic factors. While dentin naturally gets more yellow over time, enamel gets thinner, exposing the dentin underneath. Foods and smoking also can stain teeth as people grow older.
Should Everyone Get Their Teeth Whitened?
While teeth whitening is highly recommended for most, it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution. The following should refrain from undergoing any sort of teeth whitening procedure:
- Children under the age of 13
- Pregnant and lactating women
- Those who have incomplete dental work or hypersensitive teeth
- Those currently having orthodontic treatment being done in stages
- Those with dental work that covers the entire front of the tooth, such as bridges, crowns, veneers, or implants
What to Expect from a Teeth Whitening Procedure?
For stubborn stains and yellowing teeth, professional teeth whitening is a viable option for most people. This procedure is conducted right there in our office. During your 90-minute treatment, a trained technician will apply a highly-concentrated whitening gel to your teeth. The oxygen molecules will then penetrate your enamel and disrupt the chemical bonds responsible for the discoloration, improving the overall look of your smile.
Contact Your Local Dentist Today
If discolored teeth are affecting your oral health, appearance, and confidence, teeth whitening at our Auburn, CA dental practice could be an ideal solution. During a consultation at Maidu Dental, Dr. Markham can help you determine which specific treatment option will meet your needs. To learn more, or to schedule an appointment, contact us online or call our office at (530) 823-8771.