Mild dental damage can typically be repaired with fillings. Moderate or severe damage will need to be addressed with dental crowns. Sometimes called “caps”, dental crowns cover the entire tooth surface to reinforce the weakened structure. In some cases, crowns can offer a cosmetic benefit, as well, as concealing imperfections such as chips, fractures, and discoloration. At Maidu Dental, Dr. Luminita Markham offers dental crowns to help patients achieve a beautiful and healthy smile.
About Dental Crowns
Crowns are tooth-shaped, custom-made restorations. They can be crafted from a variety of materials, including metal, zirconia, or porcelain. At Maidu Dental, qualifying patients can receive same-day crowns. Our advanced CAD/CAM technology can help our doctors fabricate high-quality custom crowns in about one hour. Most patients choose tooth-colored dental crowns for a natural-looking, seamless smile.
When is a Dental Crown Necessary?
There are numerous dental problems that can be treated with a crown. For example, Dr. Markham may recommend a crown if you have:
- Small or misshapen teeth
- Chips, cracks, or fractures
- Tooth discoloration
- Decayed, weak, or damaged teeth
- Discomfort while chewing
- A misaligned bite
- Tooth erosion
Dental Crown Placement Process
Before a dental crown can be placed, the tooth must first be prepared. To do this, Dr. Markham will remove any damaged or decayed portions of the tooth, and reduce the structure slightly to make room for your new restoration. Next, she will take digital impressions of your teeth in that area. This will transfer thousands of images to our CAD/CAM software, where Dr. Markham will be able to design your custom crown. (In the event you are not a candidate for a same-day crown, the impressions will be sent to a trusted dental lab, and a temporary crown will be placed.)
Once the final restoration is ready, Dr. Markham will bond your new crown into place. She will then assess the margins and your bite to ensure a proper fit, making any necessary adjustments.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns offer numerous cosmetic and restorative advantages. Some of these include:
- Decreased Sensitivity: Damaged teeth can cause pain or sensitivity. A crown can alleviate discomfort related to dental damage.
- Improved Function: A dental crown can improve your chewing ability.
- A Restored Bite: Your teeth work together to provide a balanced bite. When one or more teeth are damaged, this can have a negative effect on your oral health. Crowns can restore balance and symmetry to your bite, decreasing unnecessary pressure points.
- Durability: The high-quality dental materials used to craft crowns today are incredibly durable, and are made to be resilient against fractures and chips.
- Improved Aesthetics: If a damaged tooth is especially noticeable, it can negatively affect your smile. Dental crowns can conceal cosmetic concerns, such as discoloration or fractures.
In addition to traditional crowns, we also offer implant-supported crowns for patients who need to restore their dental implants. Dr. Luminita Markham can surgically place dental implants and then restore them, therefore our patients can enjoy the convenience of receiving their entire treatment at a single location.
Schedule a Consultation with Us Today
To learn more about dental crowns or our other options in restorative dentistry, schedule a visit with Dr. Markham. To reach a team member, you can call our Auburn, CA office at (530) 823-8771 or contact us online anytime.